Tuesday, May 7, 2013

the joys of running

Yesterday evening I went to a spin class at the gym with a friend. Less than 12 hours later I was back at the gym running on the treadmill. Some may call this insane, I call it my norm.  I am one of those people who actually enjoys going to the gym and working out. I don't ever want to be one of the creepy body builder women, but I do really enjoy staying physically active.

I find that I tend to have much more energy when I'm doing something active every day. And while I still hesitate to call myself a "runner", running is probably the most common activity for me. Within the last week I've participated in two 5k races, and potentially signing up for another in less than a month. When I realized I was doing two 5k races within literally 3 days of each other, even I started to think I was crazy! But then I realized that a 5k really isn't that long to run. A simple 3.1 miles. And I'm perfectly content sticking to 5ks. I have no desire in any fiber of my being to run long races like a marathon. I don't consider that fun. And to me, that's what working out is-fun.

I tend to also do 5ks that are associated with some form of cause. Of course a chunk of the money is going toward the logistics of the race, or toward the 'free' t-shirt you get for signing up (and I'm a sucker for a 'free' t-shirt!!). But I like the fact that it feels more involved than just signing a check to support a charity or cause. Like I actually did something for them.

Is it bad my favorite part of racing may be the t-shirts you get???
The first 5k I participated in this week was for Project Reach. It was at a conference I attended and was something new they added to raise money for school supplies at a high school. Admittedly, this was not my best showing at a 5k. For whatever reason (I have plenty of excuses-the 85 degree heat, the lack of sleep, the excess amount of alcohol I had been drinking every night) I ended up getting a stitch in my side and walking almost half of it! Still, I was active and did something healthier than a few friends of mine who came out to support us and hung out on the sidelines with a drink of their own.

After that disappointing showing, I was nervous about how the next 5k would go. I was still excited however as I had participated in this race a few times before- the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. I'm a proud member of team Rack Pack in my area. (and running on a team meant TWO t-shirts!) I'm proud to say that I did much better and actually ran the entire thing! It lifted my spirits and gave me some motivation to keep going and pushing myself even when I don't have a literal finish line in front of me.
Rack Pack Pride!!! (and the one time of year I'm more than happy to wear plenty of pink)

I may not be a distance runner, but I do enjoy running. Not to mention walking, hiking, biking, etc. I love the feeling at the end when you know you did something good for yourself. It doesn't matter the distance, just so long as I can be active-whether it means going 1 mile, 3 miles, or 26 miles (but again-don't count of me to do 26 anytime soon ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment