Friday, February 28, 2014

February Book Recap!

February.....not so successful as January.
I still read a book! But emphasis on "A" book. Just one. Luckily it was pretty good.

I bought Freedom by Jonathan Franzen a while ago because I thought it sounded really good. I admit it was part of Oprah's Book Club. I have never watched an episode of her show or read her magazine or bought into anything else of hers, but her book club does have some pretty good tastes! If I see that sticker of approval I'll typically pick up the book to at least check it out!

Freedom was a bit more dense and would have taken longer to read than most of the January books even if I wasn't working crazy hours this entire month! Freedom is a fiction novel that basically follows a family from normal, to dysfunctional, and back to slightly normal. More times than not I found myself reading and thinking "why the crap are you making that decision?!?" Because you could almost see the dysfunction developing. Plus I felt like I was getting a lesson on environmental and government policy at one point which wasn't as pleasurable. Overall though it was a good book. It was interesting to play the "will they, won't they" game, and try and figure out how things will turn out. By the end I actually cared a bit about the characters which is the primary goal of any author.



Books Read in 2014:
Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
Wild by Cheryl Strayed
The Fault in Our Stars  by John Green
Burned by Ellen Hopkins
Freedom by Jonathan Franzen

No comments:

Post a Comment