Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Boston

Yesterday my faith in humanity was tested once again. An unknown person/persons set off explosives at the end of the Boston Marathon. It's these moments that make me question how far humanity has fallen. And question why there is such hate in the world. What causes someone to go so far as to take incredibly violent actions against completely innocent people. I highly doubt that the 8 year old who died yesterday had done anything worth the punishment he, and now his family, had to endure.

I try and be positive. I try to see the good in everything. But in situations like this it is so remarkably difficult. The only thing I can think to do is to continue trying to do good and assist wherever I can. I can't guarantee my influence will go very far-but I know that filling myself with hatred toward the individuals at fault isn't going to do anyone any good. Hate just breeds hate.

Patton Oswalt's facebook status yesterday regarding the bombing was so perfect, and much more poetic than I could ever be. It's gone completely viral already, but I want to post it here so that I can continue to look at it if (and sadly probably when) other horrendous activities take place and remind myself that the good do outweigh the evil on this planet.
  
"I remember, when 9/11 went down, my reaction was, "Well, I've had it with humanity."

But I was wrong. I don't know what's going to be revealed to be behind all of this mayhem. One human insect or a poisonous mass of broken sociopaths.

But here's what I DO know. If it's one person or a HUNDRED people, that number is not even a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a percent of the population on this planet. You watch the videos of the carnage and there are people running TOWARDS the destruction to help out... This is a giant planet and we're lucky to live on it but there are prices and penalties incurred for the daily miracle of existence. One of them is, every once in awhile, the wiring of a tiny sliver of the species gets snarled and they're pointed towards darkness.

But the vast majority stands against that darkness and, like white blood cells attacking a virus, they dilute and weaken and eventually wash away the evil doers and, more importantly, the damage they wreak. This is beyond religion or creed or nation. We would not be here if humanity were inherently evil. We'd have eaten ourselves alive long ago.

So when you spot violence, or bigotry, or intolerance or fear or just garden-variety misogyny, hatred or ignorance, just look it in the eye and think, "The good outnumber you, and we always will." "-Patton Oswalt

No comments:

Post a Comment