Sunday, April 14, 2013

Pack-A-Thon!

Originally I thought this post was going to be all about an amazing organization called Feed the Hunger. My church holds a yearly Pack-a-Thon for them where our goal is to pack 100,000 dry meals for impoverished countries. The food we packed last year (and I believe this year as well) was being sent to Haiti to feed the countless malnourished children there.

It's a fantastic organization that sends food not just to Haiti but also to places including Kenya and Sri Lanka. It's a crazy feeling to know that you've helped make sure that so many people will get a nutritious meal because of you (especially for someone like me who rarely cooks anything at all even in my own home!). And I don't want to take away from the organization. They do amazing things providing food, education, and God's message around the world.

But what really surprised me was how much I laughed during the event. See last year I participated, but just on my own. My friends were doing different shifts than I was so even though I enjoyed it, I was really only focused on not messing up more than anything else. This time however I was working a shift with 5 of my friends. I never thought I would end up crying tears of laughter on more than one occasion in just a few hour shift, but that's exactly what happened. Sometimes people would jump the gun in putting their ingredient into the bag, or randomly (and accidentally) put their ingredient in twice, we of course picked on each other for many various things, and at one point the machine sealing the bags even started sparking-which was cool but not really supposed to happen. Ok, so maybe it was a "you had to be there" kind of time, but I had so much fun I almost started feeling bad because I was there to help impoverished children and not laugh at with my friends right?!?

Then I realized helping others should be fun. Don't they say that laughter is the best medicine for pretty much everything after all? The average adult only laughs 15 times a day! The average child closer to 300!!! I'm pretty sure most people at the Pack-A-Thon probably surpassed the average adult daily laughs. From what I could tell, everyone was having a blast; except maybe the older gentleman that somehow got paired with our group. I couldn't tell if he was amused or annoyed at our antics. There was music constantly, cheering and yelling at all tables, and laughs all around. In fact that was probably the hardest I've laughed in some time, and I have to say that I left feeling better than I have all week!

129 people came out to help for the 2 hour shift I was part of and guess how many meals we packed??? Over 45,000!!! Such a fun way to help people who I'll more than likely never even meet! Because the event just happened I don't have this year's video from my specific church, but this one shows a little more about Feed the Hunger.



No comments:

Post a Comment