Wednesday, April 30, 2014

April Book Recap!

Time to get away from some of the serious happenings of the month, and shift gears back to my New Years Resolution of reading at least 1 book a month. Even with all that has been going on, I still managed to read 2 books in April!

I started with And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini. I've really enjoyed Hosseini's other books The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns so I've been looking forward to reading his latest for quite some time. Unfortunately, I don't feel as though it lived up to his other top sellers. The book is still ok, but it jumps quite a bit from various characters, who are only loosely related, as well as jumping between years. Hosseini had me right away with the initial few chapters, but then sadly we don't see these characters again until the very end. The middle is full of other characters each getting a few chapters describing their lives at the time but they are never enough to fully satisfy what I hoped to learn about those people. All in all, I admit I was a little disappointed, but then again I may have had too high of expectations seeing as how I really enjoyed his other books!

Next I went for a classic, Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. This is one I've heard people rave about and has been on my list of books I'd like to read for quite a while. I'm so glad I finally got around to it as it really was a good book! It does start off kind of intense and fast so it took me a minute to start sorting things out. My only complaint is that before reading it I had always heard of Heathcliff kind of being this ideal romantic so that's what I went in expecting. Having now read the book, in my opinion he is NOT! Yeah he has strong love for one person in the world. But to literally everyone else in the book he is mean, cruel, and vindictive! That was quite surprising to me! I never got on his side. Really I found myself not liking most of the characters as they all seemed rather petty and selfish. But that didn't take away from the story surprisingly! Highly recommend this one to be read!


Books Read in 2014:
Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
Wild by Cheryl Strayed
The Fault in Our Stars  by John Green
Burned by Ellen Hopkins
Freedom by Jonathan Franzen
A Grief Observed by CS Lewis
The Monument Men by Robert Edsel
The Nazi Officer's Wife by Edith Beer
Out of Africa and Shadows on the Grass Isak Dinesen
And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini
Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

No comments:

Post a Comment