Friday, January 31, 2014

January Book Recap

It's Friday!!!!!!!!! Just had to get that out there.
More importantly it's the end of January. My goal is to post updates as to how I'm doing throughout the year on my book reading resolution every month.

I'm off to a really strong start actually! In January I read 2 full books, plus half of another, plus 3/5th of another. Let me explain-I cheated and started my resolution early. I started Great Expectations around Christmas so by the time January actually started I was almost half way through it. And currently reading another book (which I don't think I'm going to finish tonight so thus will carry over into February).

I'm proud of myself so far! I admit the next 2 months may be more difficult as I think I'm either working or have other plans every single weekend which are big reading times for me. For about a week or so this month I would get up a half hour early just to be able to sit in bed and read for a while. I actually really liked that. It was a nice calm way to start my day.

Here are the books I finished/started in January:

Great Expectations by Charles Dickens: I read this one years ago in high school and remembered I liked it, but didn't really remember why. Reading it again I remembered why! Such a great book! Good story, great characters, and some fun twists!

Wild by Cheryl Strayed: Another memoir of hiking a 1,000+ mile trail. Except this time it was the Pacific Coast Trail as opposed to the Appalachian Trail like other books I've read. I'm not going to lie, I thought I would enjoy it more than I did. Her time hiking I enjoyed, but her life off the trail through flashbacks I didn't really care for. Granted I'll probably still consider seeing it in it's movie form starring Reese Witherspoon that comes out this year.

The Fault In Our Stars by John Green: Also a book being made into a movie this year. Although I don't think I'd care to see this one in theaters. I liked the book as a whole, but the end was a little lacking for me (and not in the way the author probably hoped for). While I liked the book, I don't think the movie will have the same effect.

*Not Finished Yet*
Burned by Ellen Hopkins: A very easy read so far-although it takes a minute to get used to her writing style where every page is almost more of a poem format. Jury is still out on the book though since I haven't finished yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment