Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Welcome to the Polar Vortex!!!!!

That was what was in all caps and large font on the homepage of CNN's website yesterday. And it's pretty much true. (Props to whoever came up with "polar vortex" by the way-very science fictiony and dramatic!)

But seriously-it's the coldest blast of temperatures to hit the USA in a while out there. Here in North Carolina we got down to about 7 degrees last night, with a windchill of at least -6! AND THIS IS NORTH CAROLINA!!!! My friend in Wyoming wasn't making a big deal over his -12 degree weather (not sure what the wind chill would have made that!) and instead went outside to test if you throw water into the air in that temperature if it will freeze before hitting the ground-spoiler alert-some of it did! Another friend posted a screenshot of his phone reading a -42 degree wind chill in his area! So I guess I can't complain to much about my -6 degrees!

All of this is to say that I don't want to let excuses keep me from my goals this year.
(didn't see that switch coming did ya!!!)
See normally Tuesday's I always go to the gym super early in the AM since I have a church thing Tuesday evenings-typically my goal is to be at the gym by 4:30am. Knowing what the weather was going to be like last night and into today I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tempted to skip the gym today! But seeing as how my obnoxious sinus infection kept me from the gym for a few days already in 2014, I knew I shouldn't skip more days when I don't have a good reason. And so I set my alarm for 4:10 this morning-promptly checked the weather upon waking up (which is how I know it got down to at least -6 degrees with the wind chill) and bundled up! My greatest concern was my car turning on honestly-Sally, aka my car, isn't used to that type of weather. But she started, I took it easy on her, and as always she got me where I needed to go.

So I learned a few things this morning-1) I can properly layer for colder weather than I can ever remember experiencing, 2) the gym is remarkably empty on a morning like today, and 3) I can never say it's to cold to go to the gym again unless it is at least -10 degrees!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment