Saturday, February 2, 2013

Project Serve



Part of my new years resolution was to give more of myself in an effort to help others. I figured this could be through my time, money, energy; really anything I could. Today my church helped me in that resolution by hosting Project Serve. They have these a few times a year and ask for people to come together and spend part of the day volunteering through different outreach opportunities. Seeing as how it is a church activity, typically one opportunity is evangelizing, but honestly that’s not really a strong suit of mine. I am comfortable talking about my faith if someone asks, but I’m never very comfortable starting the conversation. Especially with strangers. So typically I opt for the opportunities that include manual labor in an effort to help others and just to be an example.

This time myself and a few friends volunteered to help at one of the lowest scoring elementary schools in the state which happens to be in my town. Of the various opportunities there, landscaping sounded like the most fun. Then I remembered I don’t have much experience with landscaping, and that it would be about 30 degrees outside. I bucked up though and started putting on the layers of clothes that my love of camping and hiking has taught me to do so well.

When we got to the school we met Ms. B-A. She’s one of the teachers and has a heart of gold! She’s one of those teachers that truly care for their students. Not just in a “gee I hope you succeed and learn something” type of way, but in a “I want to help you learn the foundations for a good life and how to set goals and reach them both in the classroom and for your future.” She’s started initiatives encouraging the students to read, developed a character building plan for the school, and helps collect clothes and schools supplies for her students. The church brought clothes for the students and she was so touched she almost started crying. 
Some of the supplies and clothes Ms. B-A already had, plus some of the bags we brought from church.

My 2 friends and I were assigned to plant around the flagpole in the front of the school. Luckily one of my friends used to work in landscaping, and the other has some experience as well. As the odd one out I took the role of filling in around the plants once they had dug the proper holes. Even with the chilly weather it ended up being pretty fun. 
Our handiwork...plus the trowel that didn't help us one bit!
 
After that we helped out in the library. That was easier, and to be honest, a bit more boring, but I enjoyed seeing some books I used to read when I was younger plus many books I’d never heard of before. My favorite was The Bugsiest Bug which actually had a great storyline (yup-I took a break to read it. Actually I read it out loud and hosted a mini story time).

In the grand scheme of things I may not have done much. I helped deliver clothes other people donated, helped do a little planting, and remembered my alphabet while putting books in order. But when I think about the tears Ms. B-A almost shed and hope for the kid's excited faces, I can't help but smile. I know that just a few of my hours on a Saturday morning made at least a little mark on the world.  

No comments:

Post a Comment