Friday, February 22, 2013

Sacrifices!

Phew-Lent started more than a week ago and yet this is the first chance I've really had to sit down and do something not work related at the computer. I look forward to next week when life may calm down a bit....who am I kidding, next week will still be crazy! May-yeah, maybe in May life may calm down a bit!

Regardless of the oh-so-fun (read: stressful) events at work, Ash Wednesday kicked off the Lenten season on Feb. 13th this year. Lent is a religious season symbolizing the 40 days that Jesus spent in the desert being tested by Satan and thus is a time for reflection and sacrifice for us as believers. Not all Christian denominations celebrate Lent, but growing up in the Lutheran church, it was one of the most important parts of the year. Not only do you have regular church services on Sundays, but every Wednesday night as well. And don't get me started on Holy Week (the end of Lent) when you have church almost every day of the week as you celebrate Jesus' death and resurrection! The church I attend currently isn't Lutheran, and so while they don't make a big deal over the Lenten season, it is something that is still important to me.

Many people give up something during Lent as a way of sacrificing something they enjoy more than they should. A lot of my friends have given up chocolate or candy or alcohol. Soda was always my go to sacrifice. I LOVE some Dr. Pepper that's for sure! But last year I decided to cut back as a whole when I started realizing exactly how much sugar and calories I was ingesting through have 3 sodas a day (seriously-that was my norm during the fall). Now I only allow myself 3 sodas for the whole week anyway so that sacrifice was out. Instead, this year I decided to give up something I had never attempted before.....cursing!


I don't swear up and down everyday, but I do swear more than I probably should. I knew it wasn't going to be as easy as giving up something physical. To have a soda takes not only a mental choice, but to physically follow through. Cursing on the other hand, you do without really thinking about it. And so even though Lent started back on the 13th, yesterday (the 21st) was my first successful no cursing day!!! I was out with friends last night and when I realized how close I was to making it I got very excited and wanted to share, but didn't for fear of jinxing myself.

I probably will continue to slip here and there, but I like the idea of breaking bad habits and vices. Especially one where I feel like I remember Jill Taylor from Home Improvement saying something along the lines of "When people curse it's just because they aren't smart enough to come up with anything else to say"
One of the best shows ever! Mostly due to the adorable JTT!

No comments:

Post a Comment